Saturday, July 18, 2009

Blog 10-Mudfest!







Mudfest: An event in South Korea where people throw mud. And today, that was my adventure. I have only been here for a month, but from what I have heard about it, Mudfest is a right of passage, something that most of us foreigners should participate in at least once during our time in Korea. I travelled with Kristine and Jenny, and the rest of our Korean Language class (as well as members of the church that hosts the class) to Boreyong, South Korea. On our bus, there were individuals native to India, Croatia, South Africa, Australia, Canada, and of course America, a mini melting pot on the way to a larger one. We had to leave our house at 7:30 am to catch the bus to the church, but for 15000 won, which is a little under 15$, we got a bus ride, breakfast, lunch, a Korean "buffet" dinner, as well as a shower ticket LOL. The bus ride was 2 hours long, and our Korean class leader was, at 8:30am, trying to get us to sing songs like we were going to camp or something; he had people singing songs in their native languages, and of course, I got picked to sing "Twinkle twinkle, little star." How fun. Anywho, after that, I went to sleep. When we arrived, we changed into swim gear and had lunch, which was a whole bunch of kimbop, sorta like Korean sushi, and some type of chicken, like orange chicken, but not. LOL. We went to the actual beach area, and they had bins (imagine fisher price kids plastic mirror and bureau filled with mud) with paint brushes attached. So we painted ourselves in mud, and started walking around the fest. We are walking and sliding everywhere, because the streets are caked in mud. There was a lot of beer guzzling going on, and people mud wrestling, and other random things. We weren't muddy enough, so we went into this "mud prison" where these 2 people who work for the fest throw buckets of mud while you and your friends are "trapped" behind bars (made of rubber). There was mud in my hair, dripping down my swimsuit, but it was, surprisingly, fun! They had a huge slide, (which had an hour+ wait, so we decided against it) a mud wrestling pit, a mud "wading pool", and a huge stage and space for dancing. A band was playing some rock/pop songs, so Jenny, Theresa, and I joined the 6 other people dancing in front of the stage in a muddy mess, while hundreds of people watched us on TV, and from the bleachers. Good times (until this drunk kid ran into me and just kept apologizing and hugging me so that we would both stay muddy...its apparently what that "CASS" beer does to you). Kristine wouldn't dance, lol, she sat on the bleachers while we aced up for like 15 minutes. It was pretty fun. After that, we jumped in the ocean to clean off; it was super windy, and the waves were extra big, so we couldn't go very far out in the water. Def. not like the beaches in Mexico, no blue water, but fun none the less. We left at around 4pm, after I ran into Nichole and Amber. They had a hotel and were staying the night to party and things that evening, but I was content with my 15$ trip lol. My hair and skin feel great, by the way...It was really clean, good mud! Ha. When it was time to go, we used our shower tickets, and all of the people in the bathhouse were just as naked as the day they were born: Old women, young girls, everyone just bending over, all types of things. I'm like, o...k...then...LOL. When I got out, this lady came up to me and told me my hair was beautiful! Made my day, cuz i figured I would have been looking worse than that thang LOL. I really think it was the mud, my curls stayed in tact without me putting anything on it! YESS! In the bathroom earlier, this drunk chick told me how she wanted hair like mine, she was mixed and her sister got the "good curls" while she was "stuck" with the loose ones. I'm like, "Oh, OK. I'm just black." LOL. I am extra tired, but all in all, today was pretty cool. Different from anything I have ever done before, but it felt good to see all different types of people coming together for a common cause...Mud. Good night!
P.S. Sorry I dont have any "muddy" pics, I didnt want to get phone muddy..I will post them as soon as Theresa puts them up on her page ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment