Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 3


























Good morning loves!!! Today was another good day! Tarita spent the night last night, so this morning we got up and went to church with Kristine. She got here at around 9:30, and we were just just finished getting dressed lol. If you know me well, you know that means I needed another 15 minutes to do last minute things that I forgot to do, like find my purse and put on deodorant lol. So, when we got to the bus stop, it was passing us. Korea has at least 30 different bus lines, they can take you anywhere in the city...we were going to take the bus that drove by us, to the bus that was going to take us to church.
We ended up walking 15 minutes to the other bus, and as we were walking up, that one passed us too. The irony. LOL. But it was like 85 degrees and humid at 10am, so we stopped in a store that is close to a 7/11 and got waters, then caught the bus.

Their transit system is cool, we buy pass cards and load money onto them, it is like the visa touch cards. We use them for the bus and the train, and it saves you like 50 won. The bus is like 1000 won, the train, depending on when you stop, is 1000-7000 won, which is a little less than 1$ or 7$. It took us like 45 minutes to make it to the church, and we got there during the end of the songs. Their normal pastor is on a mission of sorts in the united states, so there was a guest speaker. He was pretty cool, a Korean man with extra good style. He preached on the love of god, how it is unconditional, yet there are some who are chosen, and we were a number of those chosen few; we were not in Korea by accident.

When church ended we all (the ususals and some people I met that day at church) went out to a restaurant across the street; we didn't eat breakfast that morning, so I was starved. I got a small plate, because I knew me and Tarita were going for sushi near her house later. Nothing major happened there; this boy named Gabriel was treating this lady from Canada, tho. She was being overly abrasive. I also met Kim, she is another African American in my program, she is a bit older tho, around 30 or so, maybe older. She gave me a big hug; had I known her better, I would have objected (You know I am not all for the hugs and things, personaaaal spaaaaace! Lol). But me and Tarita left for her house at the ICC (international communications center) before everyone else was done eating. All the food came out at random times, and we were done as people were just getting their plates.

So we walked around her side of town (Which is by the church) and I got some things I needed, like a notebook and some lotion (which I also hate, but I have been extra ashy!) Lotion is extra expensive, it ranges from 7-15 dollars. Why? I could not tell you. We took a cab to her house, it is extra nice, her classrooms are so cute! They are all different colors and have different themes for the children to learn...math, science, reading, animals, food! So cute. I met one of her friends and another teacher, Jessica. She is extra funny. After the tour, we went for sushi, it was great. 5000 won holla! Which is like 5 bucks, we had like 10 pieces. And it was good ;-). After that, we went back to the ICC for a spell, then we walked 20 minutes to the train station so that I could go home, by myself ;-( On the way, one of taritas children (students) was passing in hte car with her parents. She yelled out the window, crawling over her mom- "Teacha! Hi Teacha! " Tarita was like "Hi Mary, how are you?" The girl paused, and said " I..Am..Fine!" in the cutest way possible. Then the car sped off. We laughed, and Tartia was like, " I dont even know if that was Mary!" LMBO!

I got on the train, and an old man sat next to me. He was practicing his English. He asked me what country I was from, and I told him. He then told me that his son lived in Greece, he has been to Alaska, Greece, Paris, Japan, and can speak Japanese and French, just not English. He also used to be a steel worker. (My train ride was 30 minutes, and he def got off only 2 stops before me). I felt good to be able to help him with his words, but he sat so close to me, and leaned in as he spoke. All I kept hoping for was dental floss. LOL. But I got off the train, after many more stares, and took the bus home. And I made it! I sorta know how to get around in Korea, and it is only day 3!! My job begins tomorrow, so wish me luck! Kristine just came up and invited me to come to her room for dinner. Jenny and Donald, the people from yesterday, are there too. I just ate, but I am going to go and chill out before I come back and sleep. Have a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment